South, but not South of the Border


I've been spending the past two weeks in Asheville, North Carolina taking in some Southern charm before I head South of the border. I'll be leaving for Mexico from Charlotte on Friday morning, so I guess this is just a little mini trip with the rest of my big trip.

Leaving home was hard and it finally hit me that I'll be spending the whole semester in a whole new country. I packed up all my stuff just like I was getting on the airplane so it was a bit strange to sit in the car for 15 hours and end up down here. I said goodbye to my family which was a bit strange as well because it was like I was leaving, but not really. It helped postpone the reality of it for a little longer. That's not to say that I'm not excited, I am! But I'm also nervous and anxious and all of that which comes along with a new and different experience. I just have to keep telling myself to be brave, especially with speaking Spanish.

The drive down sure was interesting. It's really strange to be on the road ALL day. We left around 9 and got in here at about 12:30. It's kind of liberating actually, traveling like that with nothing to do and nowhere to be. It feels like nobody knows where you are and you are in complete control (although Avi was driving so I guess he was). It was also really interesting to see the transformation from up North down here to the South. There's a lot of nothing in between, I'll tell you that much.

We passed through a few notables, but mostly it was just highways, some with pretty views. I stuck my head out the window as we passed Hershey, PA, but all I smelt was cow manure like the rest of the way. We played the alphabet game a few times and mostly just talked and listened to music.

We were on a bit of a mission to find a TGI Fridays the whole way because they have a salad bar. We passed a bunch, but it was a little too early to eat and then there was nothing and nothing and nothing and our stomachs were growling because it was like 2:30 and we had only had a few snacks since breakfast. Finally we found one down in good old West Virginia, which ended up being quite a cultural experience, especially since it was the first time getting out of the car for anything except gas since being up North.

We were both in a bit of a daze from staring at the road the whole time so it all seemed even stranger... for me, at least. Avi's a little more used to it. Everyone says hi and they say y'all and they all had very strong Southern accents. It was like 4:30 so the restaurant was packed with early bird good Southern seniors. They were both incredibly nice and polite or very grumpy like I'm more used to. To be honest, I don't remember much more expect laughing at all the very Southern things around like mullets and big trucks... and waffle house. Oh the trucks! Next time we do the drive we're counting eighteen wheelers the whole time down. It's row after row of big roaring trucks and of course all the road side amenities to cater to them... a lot of cracker barrel and such.

We got into the town where Avi lives, Swannanoa, which is just outside Asheville, at about 12:30 and were we ready for bed or what...

I visited once before in October so I knew a little about where he lived, but we spent most of our time camping in the Smokey Mountains so didn't get much of a chance to explore around here. I also forgot how the roosters sometimes wake you up, and how there's a train that whistles also. It's strangely familiar and comforting though, like something I've imagined to be comforting but never actually experienced.

There are lots of trailer homes... we've been running around the neighborhood and seeing everything that's going on. Most of the trailers are more like permanent homes though so they look more like pre-maid houses than trailers. There's also lots of churches.... and lots of dogs. We keep doing the same running root and have learned which ones are where, which bark a lot, which are just plain annoying squeaky barking. There's a sign at the intersection by his house pointing the way to all the different churches in the neighborhood... probably about fifteen in like a mile radius. And we're not even very far into the Bible belt... I haven't noticed much more religiousness than the sheer amount of churches and various bumper stickers, though it is quiet on Sunday mornings, but that doesn’t mean much.


The mountains here are absolutely beautiful. It makes me want to go to school down here. It's like a city nestled into a whole mountain range so everywhere you look they grow up around you. When we're bored and feel like getting out we go drive up on the windy roads up in the mountains and just take in the views and look at all the great houses with great views. Avi's dreaming about winning power ball and living in one of the houses up on that ridge... and I guess I am a little too. We went for a really nice walk along the French Broad River the other day. It was on the Biltmore's land and there was a big fence, but there were a lot of people going through so we figured it was ok, and was it a nice walk.

We've also been running up on the Parkway where the road is closed. It's some rough running up and down hills, but wow is it worth it in the end. We've gone three times now. The first time almost all of it was closed so we ran straight up two miles to a look out where there were mountains fading in all different shades of blue in a sort of misty rain. Running up was tough, but we got down in less than fifteen minutes. After that day the road was open to a further point again and we were disappointed at first, but then it ended up being an even nicer spot with more up and downs than just up then down. We went 5.5 miles and through a mountain (there was a long dark tunnel). Once again there were views everywhere (we were up around 3K feet). If ever a run I love it is definitely there....

It's been a great two weeks in Asheville and I think it will have been a good way to transition way down South to Mexico. I leave tomorrow! I'm spending today re-packing everything I already packed, but for real this time. It is very exciting, but I'm of course a little nervous as well. I have no idea what to expect of the city, my classes, the people I'll be with. That's also what makes it exciting too though. I have a hard time when I am expecting something and it turns out different, but I'm going with a clean slate, ready for anything... or so I like to think. I hope I will be able to establish my little niche there where I feel comfortable and am able to relax. Well, time to get packing... I'll post again from way down South when I get a chance, but it might be a few days. I think our schedule is pretty packed the first few days and I'll need time to settle in and of course go exploring...

No comments: